23 February 2011

Why I study

Why do I study? A job? Personal satisfaction? For my parents? It seemed unclear to me at first. I wasn't always like how I am now. When I was in primary school, I wasn't even in the top 10 of my class. More like top 30... or 40. I was addicted to TV and video games. I was FAT... and I mean really FAT... 90 kg at only 12 years old OMG!

Anyway, when did I start to really study? Maybe it was in form 1. I got 1st place in my class and got really excited. When teachers started saying good things about me, it kinda stuck. Sort of a reputation. I'm not gonna lie, I actually like to do math. Seriously. Especially calculus. I. Love. Calculus. Moving on, my point is that studying can be fun if you like the subject.

Now? It's not as fun as it was before. I mean, physics, math, chemistry... those were simple and fun. But now its just feels like the subjects are so complicated that its tiring. Maybe it's the system? Maybe it's the lecturers? I don't really know. I thought about following my fathers footsteps, but then I ask myself if that is really what I want. Maybe I want to do something else? But what is it?

Then again, when you think about all those years of studying. What good was it all for? I think we all study just to get good grades. But can you really learn if you just memorize? But if you don't memorize, then how can you prove you're smart? What really makes a person smart? Does I.Q. really show how smart a person is? I think a smart person is one who thinks about the world around him and makes the best decisions. You don't need to be able to solve second order differential equations to be smart.

So why do I study? I think I now finally understand. I study because I can

No comments:

Post a Comment